Sample Letter to State or Congressional Representatives
Jonesville, MI 48999
Honorable James Smith
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Honorable James Smith:
I am writing this letter to express my opposition to HB 4760, the Education Empowerment and Flexibility Law. This House Bill would allow school districts to form a contract with the State Superintendent and Treasurer to waive federal and state laws if they demonstrate that doing so will enhance student performance.
As a school psychologist, I have observed the impact of the waiver system on special education laws. In my opinion there have been some misuses of the waiver system that diminished the quality of education for students. Unfortunately often the incentive behind waivers is financial and does not always have quality educational practices in mind.
Thank you for taking the time to let me express my opinion. If you would like any additional information, please contact me at (333) 555-5555.
The letter above is a fictitious sample letter written as a guide for writing to your Congressional or State Representatives. The KEY POINTS are outlined below:
1. Refer to the Bill Number and Name, if applicable
2. State if you support or do not support the Bill
3. State who you are and why you have this opinion
4. State you would be happy to provide more information and how to reach you
5. Keep your letter as precise as possible
6. Thank your representative
Tips for Writing your Congress Person or State Representatives
* Refer to the Guide to State Government Booklet provided by your State Representative Offices